Getting Started with CloudConnect
Welcome to CloudConnect! This guide will walk you through setting up your CloudConnect Controller, deploying your first remote Agent using the new CloudConnect Dashboard, and starting your first remote network test.
Step 1: Log into the new PingPlotter account system
First, we need to log into the new PingPlotter account system:
- Go to the new Pingman Tools account login page.
- Enter your Pingman.com email address and password, then click Log In.
Step 2: Create your first CloudConnect Controller
To start using CloudConnect, we need to set up a Controller, which is an installation of PingPlotter you will use to monitor and manage remote Agents.
Before you begin!
Before you create a Controller, make sure you have PingPlotter Professional version 5.10.1 or later installed on the device you wish to use. Otherwise, certain CloudConnect functionality may not work properly. You can download the most up-to-date version of PingPlotter from the account system you logged into in Step 1.
- Click the blue Get Started button on the Activate CloudConnect card. This will take you to the CloudConnect Dashboard
- Click Create Controller. You will now have the option to create a Controller on your current machine or on a different device.
- To create a Controller on your current machine, click This Machine to open PingPlotter and configure it as your first Controller. A dialog box will pop up — click Open PingPlotter. PingPlotter will then take you to the new CloudConnect tab on the Welcome screen.
- If you'd like to set up a controller on a different machine, click Another Machine. This will copy a magic link to your clipboard. Launching the URL from another machine’s web browser will open the same dialog box from earlier, prompting to Open PingPlotter — clicking that dialog should launch PingPlotter and configure that machine as a Controller.
- After configuring your controller, navigate to the CloudConnect tab in PingPlotter's Options menu. Click the Test Connection button to verify you are successfully set up.
Step 3: Deploy your first CloudConect Agent
Let’s get your first Agent deployed on a remote device:
- Back in the CloudConnect Dashboard, on the Agents card, click New Agent.
- Enter any name you'd like to use for your Agent. A recommended naming convention is “Device Name or User Name,” followed by a machine ID. Click Submit.
On the Deploy Agent card, you have several options.
To download a version of PingPlotter with the Agent pre-calibrated (on devices without PingPlotter currently installed):
- Click the blue Download button to download an Agent-specific build of PingPlotter. This will open a browser to a page, which should read, "Your PingPlotter Agent is Ready!"
- From this page you can either click the I'm a Controller button, which will prompt you to copy a link and send it to your Agent machine, or you can click the I'm an Agent button and download a customized Agent for your OS.
This Agent version of PingPlotter is only connected to its original Controller. It will not connect to other Controllers.
- Once the file has downloaded, double-click to install and follow the prompts.
To deploy an Agent on a remote device with PingPlotter already installed using a magic link:
- Click "this link" on the Deploy Agent card. A magic link will be copied to your clipboard. Before activating PingPlotter as an Agent, it is highly recommended you re-install the program as a Background Service.
- On the remote device, paste the link URL into a web browser. The link will calibrate PingPlotter to function as an Agent.
Once the Agent has been installed, it's important to test the connection to the Cloud. From the Edit menu on the Agent, select Options → CloudConnect → Test Connection.
Step 4: Start your first remote trace
- Open PingPlotter on your Controller device. On a new target tab or summary, in the Target Bar, you will now see an Agent dropdown menu next to Interval and Focus.
- Select your newly-created Agent from the dropdown. Type a valid URL or IP address in the Target Bar and hit Enter. You should see PingPlotter start gathering data just like a normal local trace.
- Back in the CloudConnect Dashboard, you should see your Controller, Agent, and current trace.
Congrats! You're CloudConnected!
From here, you should be all set to deploy new Agents, add or adjust traces for your existing Agents, and manage your remote testing from the comfort of your favorite chair. If you encountered any issues, be sure to check the CloudConnect Manual, our CloudConnect FAQ, or get in touch with our Service Team.